Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Departure From the Usual

I use this blog for sharing my crafting interests but today I want to share another interest of mine...birding.  I began birding about 4 1/2 years ago.  I went on my first bird walk with a local expert and that was all it took.  I can proudly say that I am a bird geek.

Today I had a fascinating day right in my own yard and I wanted to show just a few of the 100+ photos I took today.

My first set of photos is of a Song Sparrow.  What made me excited to see him is that I've never seen one at my home.  I see them frequently out in rural areas that I bird but never in the suburbs.  I do keep a number of seed feeders and this guy must have liked what he saw.  He fed with the other regulars but stuck around when the others moved off.  (More why they moved off below:)

He liked hiding in my neighbor's hedge for safety but when I "pished" at him (literally making that sound) he would pop up for a few seconds allowing me these photos.   In the Spring his song is beautiful.  During the non-nesting time like now they make a soft "bark" call.






The reason that all the other birds disappeared quickly was our resident Cooper's Hawk.  She (or he) is a beauty and quite amusing to watch.  The little birds however are rightfully afraid.  A Cooper's Hawk's main diet is small birds and they know to hang out at bird feeders, like ours.  She seems to like my husband's roof rack on his car.  She then dove into a shrub knowing that numerous House Sparrows were hiding in there.  Finally she gave up and went to the top of a sycamore tree to preen and groom.  Or perhaps to sulk because she did not succeed in finding a munchie to enjoy.








Today was the second day in a row for her to appear.  I wonder if she will show up again tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment